Dear Chapter Leader,
I’m thrilled to send my first issue of Leadership Matters while our Director of Chapter Engagement, Jamie Curtis, is on sabbatical. It’s been a personal honor to work at PFLAG National since October 2019, primarily supporting chapter leaders through challenges, opportunities, and celebrations. The best part of working here? Connecting with folks like you, who are showing up in your communities and leading with love.
Thank you for all that you do,
Shaun Connors (he/they),
Chapter Engagement Manager
One Hour A Week to Branding Success
We’re excited to continue our series, One Hour A Week to Branding Success, a seven-week strategy for low-lift branding tasks that will take no more than an hour of your time. You can see our first two weeks in the Chapter Leader Web Portal at chapterleaders.pflag.org, using the following login:
Once logged in, visit pflag.org/newsletters, where you’ll find not only our public-facing newsletters, but also our password-protected Tuesday emails to chapter leaders.
Now that you’ve researched your chapter and know where you’re most visible, and downloaded and installed fonts, it’s time for your third task!
Week Three: Your Chapter Logo
What do do with your hour:
- Log into the Chapter Leader Web Portal at chapterleaders.pflag.org using the above log-in credentials.
- Under “Essentials,” click the box on the right side of the screen to access our PFLAG Logo and Branding Assets/Support essentials.
- On the left side of the page click “Create Your Chapter’s Logo,” which brings you to the logo generator where you’ll have access to create and customize your chapter’s logo.
- Type your chapter’s official name into the generator by replacing the “Chapter name goes here” text with the official name of your chapter.
- Important note: Do NOT enter the “PFLAG” in this space, as that part of your logo is automatically generated using the official PFLAG logo.
- Your official approved chapter name is the same one that appears on the personalized banners that most chapters ordered for Pride Packs
- If you are unsure of that name, or want to confirm, please connect with your Chapter Engagement staffer, or email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you enter the name, you can now adjust the color options to your liking.
- We recommend creating and downloading several versions of your logo, including one in teal and one in white.
- Important note: Our logo is ONLY teal or white, not any other color
- Options for download include different file types and different background colors (or a transparent background).
- SVG - Great for larger, printed materials. SVG files can be sized to any size without loss in quality. (You will need to have our PFLAG fonts installed on your computer for this file type.)
- PNG - Great for logos with a transparent background or graphics that include text.
- JPG - This file type is best for photos or if you’re uploading your logo somewhere that PNG files are not accepted.
Did you complete this task? SUCCESS! You’re done for the week.
Extra credit: Upload it to Canva for use in designs
Feeling like you want to do one more thing? Upload your logo(s) to Canva so you can start using it in designs created for your chapter. Canva has a great tutorial here about how to upload images to your account. If you still need to sign up for Canva, you can do that at pflag.org/canvasignup.
Chapter Opportunity: Authentic Selves - A Traveling Exhibit for Your Community
Authentic Selves: Celebrating Trans and Nonbinary People is not just a book written in collaboration with PFLAG National (Preface by Ex. Director, Brian Bond), but also a museum-quality traveling photo-text exhibit that is now available to PFLAG chapters!
Groundbreaking in its depictions of joy and community, Authentic Selves celebrates trans and nonbinary people and their families in stunning photographs and compelling stories—and your chapter can help bring this exhibit to chapter meetings, libraries, conferences, and more!
For information on how to bring the exhibit to your community, email Co-Director Peggy Gillespie at email@example.com.
STTA Live! Thursday, May 4, 2023
May is Jewish Heritage Month
When discussing the intersection of religion and LGBTQ+ identity, Judaism is generally perceived to be among the more welcoming and affirming faith traditions in the US. There are countless organizations, including Jewish Queer Youth and Eshel, working to support LGBTQ+ Jews and their families. However, the Jewish community is not monolithic, nor are the experiences of LGBTQ+ Jewish youth.
Join us this Thursday, May 4 for Something to Talk About Live!
PFLAG Academy Online: May 2023
A password-protected web portal for PFLAG chapter leaders, with resources, toolkits, branding materials, and more!
All of PFLAG's branding assets, including the chapter logo generator, the branding guide, and more!
Use the PFLAG Chapter Hub to update your chapter contact info, membership lists, leadership rosters and meetings.
(202) 467-8180 | firstname.lastname@example.org