Dear PFLAG Supporter,
April is National Volunteer Month! Every year during this month, there are opportunities to celebrate volunteers across the country, and to engage volunteers. It’s also a time to raise awareness about the importance of volunteerism, and recognize the contributions of those who volunteer their time, talent, and treasure to make a positive impact in their communities.
Volunteers are the backbone of PFLAG chapters and many Pride events, too! As you’re starting to solidify your plans for the upcoming pride season, don’t forget the power of volunteers.
- Think about ways to cultivate collaboration with other organizations who rely on volunteers by reaching out proactively to these groups and leaning on ongoing relationships.
- Consider engaging new and existing volunteers within your chapter to support ongoing efforts and gear up for pride season, or any ongoing efforts where you’ll need additional support.
- Ask early and often for volunteers or interorganizational collaboration efforts to ensure you’re set up for success.
Thank you for your continued care and support of PFLAG as a valued chapter leader and volunteer!
National Announcements and Opportunities
TOMORROW, Wednesday, April 12 begins our first Branding Virtual Office Hours, 7-8pm ET/4-5pm PT. Liz Owen, our Director of Communications will offer these office hours on a bi-monthly basis as follows:
- The second Wednesday of the month, 7-8pm ET/4-5pm PT
- The third Saturday of the month at 1-2pm ET/10-11am PT
This month, the third Saturday is THIS Saturday, April 15.
Additionally, Laura McGinnis, our Senior Manager, Press and Public Relations, will offer bi-monthly Media & Messaging virtual office hours as follows:
- The second Thursday of the month from 2-3pm ET/11am-noon PT
- The second Saturday of the month from Noon-1pm ET/9-10AM PT
This month, the second Thursday is THIS Thursday April 13.
You can join via Zoom at any time during either office hours to get support and get your questions answered, and the links are always the same:
We’re happy to provide you with this important communications support.
Community self-care involves taking a holistic approach to well-being, addressing physical, mental, and social health, while working together to promote the health and resilience of the community as a whole. To that end, we invite all regions to attend Self Care and Mental Health in the LGBTQ+ Community, a conversation hosted by The South Atlantic Region. Ben Greene (he/him) and Bryce Celotto (he/him) will facilitate a presentation and interactive program about mental health, centering community care, and uplifting joy. Register and join the conversation on April 17th, 8 pm ET / 5 pm PT.
Self care is not an easy endeavor and to be able to continue this type of work, it is vital. It is easy to see the work PFLAG chapters provide as community self-care, taking a collective action to promote the well-being for LGBTQ+ people and loved ones of communities. Thank you for the work that you do!
Eddy Funkhouser (they/he)